Toledo is a historical city with a lot of ancient buildings and monuments which make a medieval atmosphere for everyone who wants to visit it.
Once, Toledo was the capital city of Spain with Carlos I the king in the XVI century. Although the history of the city began many centuries before, with the Celtic civilization. After that, Toledo was habited by Romans, Goths, Muslims, Jewish and Christians. Nowadays, the city has around 80.000 inhabitants and is one of the main destinations for tourists who are visiting the centre of the county.
The city is located one hour away of Madrid by car or by bus, so if you are in Madrid for a while and you have one free day, you would like to travel to Toledo.
The historical city of Toledo was declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1986.
What to visit in Toledo
– Toledo city centre: The historic centre of the city is full of monuments, gates, and ancients buildings. In there, you will find most of the important streets, squares, and museums of the city. Also, it has a lot of restaurants and shops for tourists.
– Alcázar de Toledo: This building was built in the third century by the romans. Later, it was restored by Alfonso VI, Alfonso XI and extended by Carlos I in 1534. Currently this building is an army museum (Museo del ejército).
– Toledo Cathedral (Catedral de Santa María de Toledo): This is another important monument that you can find in the centre of the city. It is a gothic catedral, built between 1200 and 1500. It measures 120 metres in length, 59 metres in width and 44.5 metres in height.
– Toledo Synagogue (Sinagoga del Transito): It was built in 1355, and is probably the only building with still stands in Toledo built by the muslim civilization.
– The Greco Museum (Museo del Greco): This museum is placed alongside the synagogue. Inside it, you will be able to see some of the artworks of Doménikos Theotokópoulos (“El Greco”). The museum was built above the foundations of a renaissance palace.
Touristic Map of Toledo
Here you have a map with the most important places to visit in Toledo:
More cities to visit near Toledo
– Madrid: The capital of the country is always plenty of cultural and leisure activity.
– Segovia: With its impressive roman aqueduct and its Alcazar, Segovia is a must for tourists who are visiting the central region of Spain.
– Salamanca: Salamanca has the most ancient university of Spain. Also, visiting its historic centre is like to stay in the medieval age, surrounded of elegant stone-made buildings, churches, squares and monuments. Salamanca is surely one of the best maintained traditional cities of the country.
– Top best cities in Spain: Read here our list with the best destinations to visit in Spain.