The Royal Palace of San Ildefonso (popularly known as La Granja de San Ildefonso) is a magnificent palace located in San Ildefonso, a small town of Segovia. This palace is famous for its wide gardens with fountains and statues, which are visited by many tourists both in summer and winter.
San Ildefonso is 90km away from Madrid. To arrive there you can go from Madrid by car (1 hour trip aprox.) or from Segovia, which is really close to the palace.
The Royal Palace of San Ildefonso
The Royal Palace of San Ildefonso is a group of buildings that includes the palace, a church, a square and some other buildings. It is surrounded by the town at the entrance of the palace and, behind it, it is placed the gardens with its fountains and statues.
Talking about its history, the palace was rebuilt in 1700 by Carlos II, after several fires. Some years later, in 1724, Felipe V lived there twenty years of his life and improved a lot the gardens and fountains, which currently are the most famous part of San Ildefonso.
Visiting the interior of the palace can cost between 4 and 9€. However, to visit the gardens and its fountains is free. (Many people go there only to see the gardens).
To visit the gardens is free, and it is a perfect place to stay one day resting, taking photons and enjoying the nature.
Inside the gardens, the most popular elements are the fountains. They are placed all in the gardens and some of them have marble statues of gods as Apollo and Neptune. Also, you will find some waterfalls, bridges and many more.
In total, there are eleven fountains: Carrera de caballos (Horse race) , La cascada (The cascade), El canastillo (The basket), Las ocho calles (The eight streets), Las ranas (the frogs), Los baños de Diana (Diana baths), La Fama (The fame), La selva (The forest), Los dragones (The dragons) and Las Tazas (The cups).
San Ildefonso: The town
San Ildefonso Town is by the entrance of the palace. Although is a small town, is the perfect place to park your car, to rest, to take a coffee and eat the traditional food of Segovia in its restaurants.
Touristic map of El sitio de San Ildefonso: Royal Palace, gardens and fountains
Here you have a map of the palace and the gardens with its fountains and statues.
More cities to visit near San Ildefonso
– Segovia: With its impressive roman aqueduct and its Alcazar, Segovia is a must for tourists who are visiting the central region of Spain.
– Madrid: The capital of the country is always plenty of cultural and leisure activity.
– Salamanca: Salamanca has the most ancient university of Spain. Also, visiting its historic centre is like to stay in the medieval age, surrounded of elegant stone-made buildings, churches, squares and monuments. Salamanca is surely one of the best maintained traditional cities of the country.
– Toledo: Toledo is an historical city with a lot of ancient buildings and monuments which make a medieval atmosphere for everyone who want to visit it.
– The best cities to visit in Spain: Read here our list with the best destinations of Spain.