La Barceloneta beach (Playa de la Barceloneta) is probably the most popular beach of Barcelona. It is placed in the city touristic centre, at 5 minutes on foot from La Rambla and Columbus Monument.
Also, La Barceloneta is the name of the marine neighborhood which occupies the area around the beach. This historic neighborhood was designed and built in the XVIII century, taking the ground from the sea.
To arrive at La Barceloneta, you can take the metro (Line 4) until Barceloneta Metro Station or Ciutadella – Vila Olímpica Metro Station.
What to visit in La Barceloneta
Frequently, most of the people who go there to have a bath, swim and sunbathe are tourists. That is because the citizens of Barcelona prefer to go to other places where there are fewer people. However, we highly recommend to visit La Barceloneta beach and its surroundings, surely you will enjoy it.
– Ronda Litoral and the seafront: This avenue starts in Barceloneta Metro Station, near the old port and Marina, and goes along the beaches which are in this part of the city.
– Marina / Port Vell: A nice place to see the sea and the ships. Also in there you will find some restaurants and cafes.
– The olimpic port of Barcelona: The olimpic port is placed between La Barceloneta and “Nova Icaría” beach.
More popular places to see near La Barceloneta
– Columbus Monument (Monumento a Colón): One of the most famous statues of Barcelona city. It was built in 1888 for a Universal Exposition and it represents a statue of Christopher Columbus (Cristobal Colon) above a pillar, pointing with his right hand to the sea.
– Las Ramblas Avenue: Las Ramblas goes from Catalonia Square to the seaport, and it has a lot of cafes, terraces, pubs and discotheques. In the end of the street, there is the Cristobal Colon statue, one of the icons of Barcelona.
– Maremagnum: This commercial center is located between Colón Monument and La Barceloneta (Moll d’Espanya del Port Vell), just above the sea. In there, you will find shops, terraces, discotheques and a lot of hobby activities.
– The Aquarium of Barcelona (l’Aquarium): The aquarium is in the same location than Maremagnum Comercial Center. They have almost 4 millions tons of water in their pools, where you will be able to see the best of the Mediterranean Sea.
Other buildings and monuments in Barcelona
– The Güell Park: People who visit the beautiful Güell Park can enjoy strolling in its area, sitting down on its decorated benches or admiring its fantastic architecture and the perfection the artwork.
– Church of the Holy Family (La Sagrada Familia): It is a must for tourists that arrive in the Condal City see its outstanding architecture, design and sculptures.
More places nearby
– Sitges: Sitges is also known for its Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival of Catalonia, the Barcelona-Sitges Vintage Car Rallys and its Carnival Celebration.
– Castelldefels: Castelldefels is located on the Mediterranean Sea coast of Catalonia, just to 18 km away from Barcelona city.
– La Pineda: With only 3,000 inhabitants, La Pineda (Vila-Seca) is a small town located in the north-east of the Iberian Peninsula, at Tarragona Province.
– Salou: Salou is a reference for the holydays of Spring and Summer in Spain.
If you want to visit the whole county, read also our post about the best cities and monuments in Spain.